This Privacy Notice includes the following Australian Unity Investments reporting entities as follows:
- Australian Unity Funds Management Limited - ABN 60 071 497 115, AFS Licence No 234454
- Australian Unity Property Limited - ABN 58 079 538 499, AFS Licence, No 234455
- Australian Unity Finance Limited ABN 35 114 656 070
- Lifeplan Australia Friendly Society Limited - ABN 78 087 649 492, AFS Licence No 237989
- Funeral Plan Management Pty Ltd ABN 30 003 769 640
- Australian Unity Limited ABN 23 087 648 888.
How we collect information from you
We will collect your personal information from you directly whenever we can. Sometimes we collect your personal information from third parties. You may not be aware that we have done so. If we collect information that can be used to identify you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you of that collection.
How we collect your information from other sources
Sometimes we collect information about you from other sources. We do this only if it is necessary to do so. Instances of when we may need to do so where:
- we cannot get hold of you and we rely on publicly available information to update your contact details;
- we need information from a financial adviser about an application you make through us;
- at your request, we exchange information with your legal or financial advisers or other authorised representatives.
When the law authorises or requires us to collect information
We may collect information about you because we are required or authorised by law to collect it. There are laws that affect financial service providers, including company and tax law, which require us to collect personal information. For example, we require personal information to verify your identity under Anti-Money Laundering laws.
How we use your information
We use your information to provide you with the financial product or service you asked for, and for other purposes including:
- giving you information about a financial product or service;
- considering whether you are eligible for a financial product or service;
- processing your application and providing you with a financial product or service;
- administering the financial product or service we provide you, which includes answering your requests and complaints, varying financial products and services and managing our relevant product portfolios;
- identifying you or verifying your authority to act on behalf of another client;
telling you about other financial products or services that may be of interest to you, or running competitions and other promotions (this can be via email, telephone, SMS, mail, or any other electronic means including via social networking forums), unless you tell us not to;
- assisting in arrangements with other organisations (such as loyalty partners) in relation to a product or service we make available to you;
- allowing us to run our businesses and perform administrative and operational tasks, such as:
- training staff;
- developing and marketing financial products and services;
- risk management;
- systems development and testing, including our websites and other online channels;
- undertaking planning, research and statistical analysis;
- determining whether a beneficiary will be paid a benefit;
- preventing or investigating any fraud or crime, or any suspected fraud or crime;
- as required by law, regulation or codes binding us; and
- for any purpose for which you have given your consent.
You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing offers from the Australian Unity Group. We will process your request as soon as practicable.
What happens if you do not provide your information to us?
If you do not provide your information to us, we may not be able to:
- provide you with the financial product or service you want;
- manage or administer your financial product or service;
- verify your identity or protect against fraud; or
- let you know about other financial products or services from the Australian Unity Group that might be appropriate to meet your financial and lifestyle needs.
Sharing your personal information
We may share your information with other organisations for any purposes for which we use your information.
Sharing with the Australian Unity Group
We may share your personal information with other Australian Unity Group related entities. This may depend on the financial product or service you have applied for and the Australian Unity Group entity you are dealing with.
Sharing at your request
We may need to share your personal information with:
- your authorised representative or any person acting on your behalf (e.g. financial advisers, lawyer, accountants, executors, administrators, trustees, or auditor); and
- your referee such as your employer (to confirm details about you).
Sharing with third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties outside of the Australian Unity Group, including:
- those involved in providing, managing or administering your financial product or service;
- authorised representatives who may promote financial products or services on our behalf;
- other financial institutions, such as banks;
- organisations involved in debt collecting, including purchasers of debt;
- fraud reporting agencies (including organisations that assist with fraud investigations and organisations established to identify, investigate and/or prevent any fraud, suspected fraud, crime, suspected crime, or misconduct of a serious nature);
- real estate agents;
- Government or regulatory bodies (including the Australian Tax Office) as required or authorised by law (in some instances these bodies may share it with relevant foreign authorities);
- our auditors or lawyers and other external advisers;
- rating agencies to the extent necessary to allow the rating agency to rate particular investments;
- organisations that maintain, review and develop our business systems, procedures and technology infrastructure, including testing or upgrading our computer systems;
- our joint venture partners that provide financial services such as investment management for us;
- organisations that assist with our product planning, research and development;
- mailing houses and telemarketing agencies who assist us to communicate with you;
- other organisations involved in our normal business practices, including our agents and contractors; and
- where you have given your consent.
Sharing outside of Australia
We may disclose your personal information overseas. However, if we do disclose this information outside Australia, we will do so on the basis that the information will be used only for the purposes set out in this document and in accordance with applicable laws.
We may store your information in cloud or other types of networked or electronic storage. As electronic or networked storage can be accessed from various countries via an internet connection, it is not always practicable to know in which country your information may be held. Overseas organisations may be required to disclose information we share with them under a foreign law. In those instances, we will not be responsible for that disclosure.
Accessing and correcting information
You can contact us by calling us on 13 29 39 or, alternatively write to:
Group Privacy Officer
Australian Unity Limited
114 Albert Road
South Melbourne VIC 3205
Australian Unity Investments is a registered business name
114 Albert Road, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Telephone: 13 29 39 Fax: 03 8682 5057 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org